One of the most exciting destinations, South Africa is vast varied and vibrant. Immersed in remarkable wildlife, cultural diversity and natural landmarks, no other country has a more compelling portfolio for a traveller. Avis makes it easy to explore this wonderful country with presence in all 9 provinces. No matter where you Safari adventure takes you, Avis will be close by to get you started on a self-drive holiday.
South Africa is regarded as one of the best road trip destinations on the world, and for good reason. With a diversity spanning many cultures and languages, landscapes and coastlines, wildlife and safari, South Africa will spoil you with popular trips as well as the options for taking the unbeaten path. We suggest you begin your exploration of the Rainbow Nation, by hiring an Avis car from a multitude of locations.
The Garden Route is a popular and scenic 200 km stretch of the south-eastern coast of South Africa. It covers some of the best places in South Africa. Starting from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape, it takes to the Storms River which is crossed along the N2 coastal highway over the Paul Sauer Bridge in the extreme western reach of the neighbouring Eastern Cape. Sun-kissed sandy beaches, outdoor sports, secluded lagoons, the mountains of the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma ranges, bushland, wildlife-spotting, buzzing seaside towns. and delicious local food – A Garden Route tour packs all of these experiences into a magnificent stretch of Indian Ocean coastline. Although, you will find a wide range of guided tours of the Garden Route, this easy, safe and friendly destination makes for a fantastic self-drive experience for families and romantics alike. The best way to explore the Garden Route attractions is with a car as you can make your own Garden Route itinerary & go at your own pace.
Leap off the world’s highest commercial bungee, explore the Knysna forests on elephant back, walk alongside a cheetah, swim in the sea with wild seals, go dolphin watching, play on the country’s best golf courses, or simply stretch out on the sands of one of the area’s fine beaches – it is a ‘road trip that will break your Instagram.’
A stretch of 350 kilometres that lies 3 hours from Johannesburg, The Waterberg is a heaven for wildlife maven. It’s unique wild beauty is resplendent with ascending mountain peaks, sweeping savannah plains, plunging valleys, primeval rock formations and charming wild life. Although just a few hours’ drive from the urban jaunt of Johannesburg, The Waterberg feels a world away. Drive through the heart of Waterberg Biosphere, and make stops at the various game and nature reserves along the way, most significant being, Welgevonden Game Reserve and the stunning Marakele National Park. Take you Avis car to the town of Vaalwater for some great coffee and handcrafted goods.
Renting an Avis car is the best way to explore this scenic route from Johannesburg to the Kruger National Park. Some tourists, unaware of the beauty of this exceptional road trip, fly from Johannesburg to the Kruger National Park, and miss out on rewards of this drive, packed with wonders like a leopard taking on an impala right before your eyes. The 400 km long stretch is lined with nature reserves and landmarks like Blyde River Canyon. Pinnacle Rock, God’s Window, Three Rondavels, Bourke’s Luck Potholes, Boat cruise on the Blyde River should be essential part of your itinerary. The Panorama route gives you a glimpse into paradise with the jaw dropping scenery and landscape and the poor mobile reception is but a boon to take in the peace and isolation.
Which side of the road?
In South Africa, please drive on the left side of the road.
Country driving laws
● Mobile phones may only be used with a headset or hands-free device
● Many of the national roads between the major centres are toll roads. Booths usually accept credit cards and cash
● In rural areas, you are likely to encounter animals on the road. Please drive slowly and carefully, especially at night
● It is compulsory to carry your driving license with you at all times
● It's a good idea to keep your doors locked and the windows up, especially in cities and at traffic lights
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
● Urban areas: 60 km/h (35 mph)
● Motorways: 120km/h (75 mph)
● Rural areas: 100 km/h (60 mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Child safety / Seat Belt laws
● It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
● Children aged between 7 and 16 must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size, or use a seatbelt that is properly adjusted to fit them and fastened securely
● Children under 7 must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size and must not travel in the front seat of a vehicle that has two or more rows of seats.